In 1822, Francis Holland purchased land located on a bend of the Navasota River in southeastern Grimes County. The site of present day Navasota was named Hollandale in honor of its original settler. More settlers followed Holland to the area. In 1831, Daniel Arnold, a Georgia planter, applied for and received a land grant along the Navasota River. Soon after, Daniel Tyler received a land grant in the same vicinity. Navasota was built on sections of these two Montgomery County land grants. The county was divided in 1846, and Navasota became part of Grimes County.